Sunday 21 October 2012

Tits Out for the Boys P2: Stripping...for Fun?



Stripping...for Fun?

A Hootchy Kootchy Burlesque Revival
Sexual pouting lips? Check. Sequin encrusted costumes? Check? Removing these costumes? Check. No, this isn’t a stripper’s dressing room, but could be any burlesque performance around the world at this point in time. Or, as I experience, any Burlesque dance class. As costuming is such an important aspect of the art form, beginner classes spend almost as much time talking about where to buy corsets as how to step, together, step. Burlesque is credited as the mother of modern stripping, but after its many revivals, what we are seeing today is an interesting domestification of burlesque dance. What was once so shocking about burlesque has become relatively mundane (oh no, don’t remove that glove! What would your mother say?) As a do-it-yourself burlesque revival storms the western world, burlesque classes and shows are popping up everywhere. Women from all walks of life have joined classes and performed on stage in the burlesque tradition, not only volunteering their bodies for the gaze, but sacrificing time, money and energy to do it. All around the world woman have reclaimed burlesque for themselves, and Dunedin is one of the leading small cities in this trend.
But are these women simply passive dupes of a patriarchal system? Or are they the powerful, hot young things of Brown’s Cosmopolitan world? As I get to know more of the women involved in Burlesque, I realise that they are neither. Take 48 year old Debbe; I met Debbe over the scramble for sequins in a class run by nation-wide burlesque brand Hootchy Kootchy, one of the most commercially successful burlesque groups in Dunedin. Debbe has been attending burlesque classes for only six weeks at the time of my visit, but she’s been involved in feminism for a lot longer than that. Growing up, she had four sisters and a mother who was active at the height of second wave feminism; avid sing alongs to “I am Woman, Hear me Roar” were common place for Debbe growing up. The effect of this feminist upbringing remain strong: “I actively try not to limit choices for myself or bow to societal norms.  I have been referred to as a ‘boundary pusher’ which was intended as a negative trait but I have accepted it as a compliment.” She writes in an email after we meet. She confesses that she is selective about who she tells about her new found hobby, however, for fear of having to explain and justify her choices. And it is not only Burlesque dancers that fear the judgement of others because of their stripper related activities.

“It’s Just Aerial Acrobatics!” Pole dance and pole fitness.
There is an ever pervasive misconception that stripper’s poles are greasy, but ask yourself this; how could anyone hang upside down from a steel pole 6cm in diameter using only the crease of their leg if said pole was covered in grease? The reality is the exact opposite of this misconception; pole dancers’ poles are waxed. The first time I ever saw pole dance was, in fact, thanks to the very process of waxing poles, or more specifically the time that it takes to wax a pole. During pole dance shows, there is an awkward gap of three of four minutes while the poles undergo maintenance for the next set of performances, and a successful Dunedin pole dance studio recruited some circus performers and I to fill in the gaps (by night I swap my writers pen for belly dance bra and belt, in case you were wondering). I parade around the stage, always looking out my peripherals to make sure I was not  about to smack into a pole or a person, while women in black shorts and bare feet crawl up poles, fire-man style, coating them with large white candles. I shimmy and shake and spangle my little heart out, but as I look out to the audience I meet no one’s gaze. I sit back in the audience to watch the rest of the show, when one kindly audience member turns to me and says: “Don’t worry about it love; you tried your best.” Outshined by a pole monkey.
But it is no wonder that I was not impressing anyone in that particular audience. These women show strength and gravity defiance that most of us common folk could only dream of, and that’s just the pole management team. Recently I was asked to yet again distract an audience-who-needs-no-distraction as the studio puts on a huge four night production of everyone’s favourite, secretly dirty, musical Grease. I pop along to their dress rehearsal to scope out the stage and to chat with the performers.


The thing that strikes me is the sound. Across the studio screeches the sound of flesh simultaneously gripping and sliding across metal. It sounds like a pain verging on torture, but when I ask some of the dancers about it they unanimously answer that it sounds much more painful than it really is. There are plenty of other moves that do cause pain, but I am told that they are the silent ones. As Irene, a blonde with a slightly vacant look in her eyes, tells me with a laugh: “If you don’t like pain, don’t do pole dancing”. Am I in a room full of masochists, I wonder? But here pain is not so much enjoyed as it is a symbol of dedication, of working hard towards training the body and accomplishing physical goals. The dancers wear their bruises like girl-guide badges; if they could clip them to a ribbon, I’m sure they would.
Among the women at the studio, there is unquestioned respect for the physical achievements of themselves and each other; but outside the studio, it is a different story. Almost everyone I talk to has someone in their lives that disapproves, and are forced to spend a lot of time explaining and justifying their hobby to strangers. Resistant or unsupportive family and friends find it difficult to be persuaded without seeing the show for themselves, and unanimously switch camps once they do. The symbol of the pole and its associations with stripping are so strong that it takes concrete visual evidence to persuade people that a pole can be danced on without all the performer’s clothes ripping themselves from their body.
            Most of the girls I talk to at the dress rehearsal set themselves in fierce opposition to strippers; the suggestion that they may be in stripper territory visibly upsets and angers them. But Bonnie Black, the founder of this very studio, has a very different although equally fierce take on this binary. When Bonnie auditioned for “New Zealand’s Got Talent,” a derivative of the American television program which acts primarily as a glorified High School talent show, earlier this year, she was furious at presenter Dei Henwood when he announced that “the stripper” had made it into the second round. “Thanks for calling me a stripper in front of my fucking parents” she says about Henwood to me over coffee. She continues, “If you want me to strip for you, then I’ll strip. But don’t call me a stripper when I’m doing pole fitness; that’s a totally different thing.”

See you next week for more on the legendary Bonnie Black and my final thoughts in stripping for work and leisure in a post-feminist era!

No comments:

Post a Comment