Thursday 25 October 2012

Toilet Conundrum

So...I just used a man's public toilet by mistake...and I feel nothing.

I didn't even realise until I was washing my hands next to a most unusual looking silver contraption. I now understand that this is what a urinal looks like. Interesting...they are not how I imagined.

Urinals in Dunedin public toilets don't look like this.

I then turned on my remarkably lady like high heel boots to dry my hands next to a stunned and silenced man.

"Whoops" I say, and stroll on out.

I know that at this point I should be running home in shame, hiding myself from all public view for a period of a week or two, crying softly while rocking back and forth, lamenting my earth shattering mistake.

But, here's the thing. I used the wrong toilet by accident. The sun still rises in the east and sets in the west. Birds still cheep and cows still moo. Nothing bad has happened, and I feel fine (although somewhat bad for my new toilet friend. I don't think he is taking this quite as well as I am, probably because he is still trying to work out how where I hide all my man bits).

I've been studying gender for far too long.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I often use men's toilets when the line is too long for women's toilets... I didn't know I should be hiding myself from public view!

    ReplyDelete